Call of Cthulhu: The Wounded

wounded4News: Bonus Horrors of War AP podcasts are available as a free download on our Patreon.

Synopsis. The horrors of the First World War did not end at the battlefield for many. Crippling injuries affected countless soldiers and civilians on both sides. In one British countryside hospital, a group of wounded soldiers begin the long journey of coming to terms with their wounds when a doctor offers them a chance at a normal life. The experimental surgery can restore missing limbs and burned skin and safely extract embedded shrapnel. It seems like a panacea for all forms of injury, but how can it possibly work? As the patients consider their options, their dreams grow strange. Their war has ended, but another one beckons…

21 comments for “Call of Cthulhu: The Wounded

1. Sam
    August 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Inoperable. Shrapnel. In Skull.

2. August 13, 2016 at 11:21 am

@Sam RPPR could make a killing on t-shirts of all the different “high school ska band” names, just sayin’.

3. Twisting H
    August 13, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Man oh man oh man. Caleb with lucky number 17.

This has got to be an RPPR best of.

Salient points:

Whoever suggested “well just put his hand in hot water,” oh god you evil genius. I just lost it.

And Ross’s comment about the flying dog.

And the entrance of the Nurse. I thought this was a Silent Hill scenario for a moment before I caught on.

And the “dogs licking a wound makes it heal,” pause, turns to Caleb “however…”

As I’m listening to this, grinning and expecting more innuendos, ASG’s scream-queen worthy screech made me jump.

4. Ian W.
    August 13, 2016 at 1:52 pm

So it started to get scary, then it became humorous with Aaron suggesting that he set Caleb’s character’s crotch on fire, then it became scary again, and then it switched back to funny. I’m not really sure how to feel about this episode but I’m pretty sure I liked it.

5. Astro
    August 13, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Yeah, that pretty quickly did become all about Caleb’s junk.

I love that they didn’t even get to discover if the doctor knew any spells like wither. Just, cane to the head and that’s over.

6. August 13, 2016 at 10:06 pm

You’re welcome, Glancy!

7. Ben
    August 13, 2016 at 11:48 pm

I’m reminded of this: http://pbfcomics.com/6/

8. Teapot
    August 14, 2016 at 11:40 am

An invisible johnson makes glory holes almost worthless.

I think Nodens isn’t really up my alley. I used to like him but more and more he seems a bit lacking in aline and terrible.

9. Kim
    August 14, 2016 at 4:36 pm

This is the first GenCon game on RPPR I’ve listened to all the way through — the sound quality was actually good this time!

This one definitely needed more Cody, from earlier RPPR days.

I liked the way Nodens was worked into the scenario’s premise, but the problem remains that Nodens is — to stay with the theme — a huge boner-killer for any ‘Lovecraftian horror’ romp.

10. Dario
    August 14, 2016 at 10:38 pm

War has changed for Venom Ross

11. ChaoticCrawler
    August 15, 2016 at 12:22 am

Beagle Graft: You are filled with an overpowering and unceasing desire to locate and consume fecal matter. When in the presence of fecal matter or presented with an opportunity to locate it, you must succeed on a SAN check to resist this urge. If you fail, you will rush towards the feces and consume it unless physically restrained.

12. Jace911
    August 15, 2016 at 9:14 pm

I half expected that when Caleb peeked under his sheets after the operation he would be presented with the sight of a baby xenomorph in a top hat a la Spaceballs.

“Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal…”

13. Mister Fantastic
    August 16, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Ah, is it that sweet time of year again already?

14. Boyos
    August 18, 2016 at 2:41 am

Lol thank you for the vellum with a silver dollar nipple. I scared my co worker laughing so hard.

15. August 19, 2016 at 2:59 am

Two hours into this and loving it. To say it goes to dark places is somewhat of an understatement. I’m currently at “Edward Fox and the Invisible Penis.” I can’t help but think that the history of the Call of Cthulhu RPG would have been very different if this adventure had been in the back of the original book as an example scenario instead of the Haunting.

16. Tim
    August 19, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Best way to deal with a mythos sorcerer really.

17. Darren T.
    August 19, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Really surprised with the random wound(s) table that nobody wound up like some of the sideshow performers in the film Freaks where it is just half of someone. Great show guys & been wondering that earlier tease from Glancy on how some of the scenarios with that idea would work.

Guessing the next one is everyone in Mi-Go brain cylinders where you roll randomly on who your neighbor is & trying to convince them to shut up or keep talking.

18. Keeper Drew
    August 29, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Any chance that wounds table gets shared……?

19. Jimmy
    September 2, 2016 at 11:59 pm

Where can I find this scenario?

20. malkav11
    September 3, 2016 at 1:44 pm

It is not currently available, to the best of my knowledge. Some of the earlier Adam Scott Glancy historical scenarios that RPPR has played are going to be published as a collection called Horrors of War: A Covenant With Death that was Kickstarted a while back (along with a couple that haven’t been featured here, if I recall correctly), but it’s been delayed and last I heard there wasn’t a firm ETA on delivery. Glancy has a number of others (including this one) in the works and I think the idea is for Horrors of War to be a series that will eventually include all of them, but obviously that first collection needs to get out the door before any more entries in the line can be made.

21. December 1, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Some visual reference material for soldiers recovering from traumatic facial injuries: (Editor note: Not Safe for Work. Not for the squeamish) https://www.instagram.com/p/BNegkWmha6p/