Monsters and Other Childish Things: Coronet

MORE DANGEROUS THAN DYNAMITE :OAfter saving the world from an evil cult during a summer road trip, a group of friends and their monster pals find themselves trapped in a strange world, where an omniscient narrator distantly rumbles life lessons about crossing the street and not washing clothes with gasoline, and that’s not even mentioning the flying monkey. Can they figure out what’s going and who’s behind it? Will the subcommittee reconvene before Mr. Speaker suspends the parliamentary session? Find out in this special one shot of Monsters and Other Childish Things!

24 comments for “Monsters and Other Childish Things: Coronet

1. Suloyapla
    April 16, 2013 at 9:38 pm

First Post! Also, Huzzah, another MaOCT Podcast by the RPPR Crew. 🙂

2. CodeBreaker
    April 17, 2013 at 12:09 am

Is there any game that cannot be improved by the inclusion of Caleb?

3. QuickreleasePersonalitY
    April 17, 2013 at 4:46 am

@CodeBreaker: you shoulda seen the time he did a multiplayer tictactoe game–one of the players is still lost in the steam tunnels *waggles eyebrows*

4. April 18, 2013 at 3:23 am

Oh, man. That was one of the most hilarious games I’ve ever heard. Hats off to Caleb for the bizarrely awesome concept and role-playing, and Aaron for some great moments.

5. April 18, 2013 at 3:27 am

Also, this session convinced me to buy Road Trip. Huzzah!

6. Sam
    April 18, 2013 at 7:14 am

Well this game was greatly amusing. But question what episode were you commenting on with the funny accent there have been so many

Also Haley Beckner relationship is the second best creepy relationship in a Monsters Game.
    The Girl Who Doesn’t Close Her Blinds is the best one the player used it for notice

7. Dom
    April 18, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I absolutely love when Ross does funny voices. And this episode was rife with funny voices! 😀

8. Darthrex
    April 18, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I would like to put forward a motion to establish a sub-committee on the feasibility of declaring FUPA a, if the, superior and superbly entertaining monster and concept.

9. Suloyapla
    April 19, 2013 at 12:56 am

The Reality Trip was awesome. Too bad none of the kids thought of turning the “mad cap virtual world” into a giant video game. Or pick up creepy kid powers from the Mad Scientist Witch.

April 19, 2013 at 1:34 am

Sure Ross, it’s “reality” whose being the dick. We believe you.

I love this concept and would steal it for many styles of game.

11. Timtombimbomb
    April 19, 2013 at 7:52 pm

That was hilarious. Shades of mst3k/Rifftrax. Oh, shorts.

12. April 20, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Wow, this was amazing. Caleb, I am honestly surprised each time you pick up a new game and provide a new, interesting perspective. David, your monster is cool; I didn’t really get the normal Monsters feel from it. I mean, it doesn’t have any personality or clear oddities.

13. AlchemicFox
    April 23, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Oh god. I knew what this was when I saw the title. I’m totally running this in CoC.

14. April 23, 2013 at 7:07 pm

@AlchemicFox How would that even work? Carcosa? Mi-Go virtual reality experiment?

15. AlchemicFox
    April 23, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Carcosa. Always Carcosa.

16. AlchemicFox
    April 23, 2013 at 7:47 pm
  17. MarkH
    April 24, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Every single time that F.U.P.A. did anything was absolute gold. When…it?…was first introduced, I was in absolute stitches. Caleb, if you don’t mind, I am stealing the fuck out of it for one of my games in the future.

Also, did anybody else notice that this is two games in a row featuring origami-powered monsters?

18. David
    April 25, 2013 at 12:10 am

@Tadanori
    I’ll try to do better next time. I had a clear mental image of Sembazuru, but I didn’t explain it well in-game. I pictured it speaking in a thousand whispered voices, evoking a “We are Legion” vibe. For the attacks/actions/assists, I imagined old-school Alfred Hitchcock avian glory. All of that pales in comparison to the sheer genius that was F.U.P.A.

@MarkH
    Real-life hobby of mine, and it’s ended up on the gaming table a time or two. It’s a happy coincidence that these two were posted together, but I do know there’ll be more of it in the future. That is, until they take away my paper, and gum wrappers, and coke bottle labels…

19. April 26, 2013 at 10:13 am

What an awesomely creative and utterly odd-ball concept for a game! I loved the ridiculous thought of the kids being thrown into a world built into PSA’s. Ha, someone has been watching Rifftrax. This was impressively creative Ross, and the result sounded like a lot of fun!

20. April 26, 2013 at 10:13 am

Ohh, and yes, F.U.P.A. was a creation of pure genius.

21. Dan
    May 30, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Again you guys did great. I just imagined my grand kids in the same situation (but my grand daughter would not hesitate having the flying monkey having a pistol) and acting almost the same way. And that had to be the BEST School Bus Ride EVER! Great show, Laughed so hard JD Came out my nose.

22. Tom C
    September 26, 2014 at 10:28 pm

/r/wheredidthesodago

October 2, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I really should pick up MaoCT. The ORE works pretty good in certain games.

24. February 2, 2016 at 9:14 pm

A scene from this game was depicted in RPPR Illustrated via our Patreon. Check it out here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/4323571