Eclipse Phase: Know Evil episode 11

Go ahead. Quote Planet of the Apes one more time. I dare you. After the chaos of the Robot Uprising in Nectar, the Firewall agents escape to the Somatek habitat to pursue their next lead in the Know Evil conspiracy. There was a Firewall contact at the station, an uplift security chief named Nissum, but he has gone missing. The team must gain entrance into the habitat, track down the missing agent and pursue their investigation. Along the way, they will deal with mercurial uplifts, ape pit fights and a devastating secret that would throw transhumanity into chaos if it became public. Find out what the secret is and what horrors await the agents in this episode of Know Evil!

24 comments for “Eclipse Phase: Know Evil episode 11

1. Fridrik
    May 15, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Yay!
    That’s all.

2. Ed
    May 15, 2012 at 5:42 pm

An episode of Eclipse Phase: No Evil? Joy!

3. Dom
    May 15, 2012 at 7:07 pm

YESYESYESYES!

4. Jason
    May 15, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Uh, Ross I thought the agent’s name was Nissum?

5. Jack Vigil
    May 16, 2012 at 9:02 am

Was starting to have withdrawals.

6. May 16, 2012 at 9:27 am

Fixed the name.

7. Omega
    May 16, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Another excellent episode, as always. Caleb tells a great story.

8. MKS
    May 16, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Ahh, bear in the big blue house, what a nifty show that was

May 17, 2012 at 10:18 am

wait did some weird supersecret of Fae Yin’s get revealed last session? I don’t remember Ross learning she was an alpha fork or whatever it was that was being implied there at the beginning.

also yayyy deathtraps!

10. Dom
    May 17, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Yeah crawlkill, Ross posted it between sessions on the forum.

11. MKS
    May 17, 2012 at 3:12 pm

so who amongst the RPPR crew is gonna get a real life fabber first?

(I wonder what Aaron’s first design will be?)

the future is here

12. joecrak
    May 17, 2012 at 3:48 pm

“Got to admit, the bit with the brick just kinda sat weird with me. Drew was all “Herpderp, I failed *one* roll, and I haven’t taken any SV, so I’m just gonna be bugfuck crazy despite the fact that I have no evidence I should now be crazy.” (As opposed to the end, when the character actually does loose his shit), Ross (Or rather Bartleby’s) “Gee, I want to pick up this beautiful brick, in a site of TITAN activity, but I wouldn’t normally want to pick up a brick, so maybe something’s up here and I don’t really want to pick up the brick.” was much more sensible, especially for experienced Firewall agents.”

It’s funny cause i felt the other way about it, I loved Drew playing up the fact that he was told he wants the brick, and played wanting it, whereas Ross’s reaction didn’t sit well with me. sure he had his reasons, but I disagreed with them. regardless fun stuff all around.

13. Omega
    May 17, 2012 at 4:50 pm

@joecrak

Well, I can understand wanting the brick, but the extremity Drew took it to right away was what threw me off I think. Caleb just said “You, uh, kinda wanna pick up that brick.” (Paraphrasing) not “You will take this brick, and you will hold it to the ends of the Earth!”. Then again, given that Drew’s charatcer has only 20 Lucidity, maybe it does make sense for him to go crazy at the drop of a hat.

14. Carl
    May 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm

help! my download is incomplete, my comp only downloads 58.1MB of the mp3! I got to about 2 hrs in and it ended
    why?
    why?

15. Beej
    May 17, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Awesome episode.

Listened while I was with my niece in neonatal. All the laughs and action kept me upbeat. Thanks so much guys.

May 17, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Drew is the best brick hoarding ultimate ever.

I also love how every game starts with the gang screwing around and doing Tom’s show. Then everything goes directly sideways with the screaming and shooting and madness. And deathtraps. Never forget the deathtraps.

Also, I want to see the party do a con or just turn on Jason for the bounty.

17. May 18, 2012 at 2:55 pm

“Also, I want to see the party do a con or just turn on Jason for the bounty.”

Or maybe they could do both, con him into thinking he’s bait for a con and then just turn him in. Don’t piss off your party members, Jason, or you could be in trouble.

I actually think both directions on the brick thing were valid. Even if there may have been an element of metagaming, I think it’s true that Ross’s character is smart enough to know that strange urges around TITAN tech is something to watch out for. He’s a psychosurgeon and a psychic, he probably has a pretty good understanding of the fact that you can’t trust your own thoughts (handy when you’re insane, btw). But if your character is a bit more simple-minded and generally solves things with bullets, you might be the type who trusts your instincts and don’t second-guess yourself.

18. Thanatophagous
    May 19, 2012 at 5:21 am

I love these podcasts. Can’t wait for the swarm tier. I NEED MORE ECLIPSE PHASE!
    PS: Ross, where are these awesome title pictures from?

19. May 21, 2012 at 12:48 am

I mostly find them in the Eclipse Phase Inspirational Art threads on rpg.net and the EP forums. Others I find myself googling for specific terms.

20. HapexIndustries
    May 25, 2012 at 1:16 am

Another awesome episode, and I think this one presented very strongly the aspect that I find most interesting about the setting: that technology beyond our understanding can be terrifying. The whole end segment was riveting and I hope that as things progress the party is confronted more and more with the horrors of super science. Looking forward to more of these. Hell, more scifi in general. There’s like no decent AP’s of scifi campaigns, all the ones I’ve found are half broken Skype logs or have dogs or babies in the background. God bless Mr. Payton for not having any noisy pets. Anyway, like I said, awesome session, more scifi please (*cough* Abandon All Hope *cough*).

21. Hotaru
    July 23, 2012 at 4:26 pm

As much as I might enjoy the series, I’m calling it a game here. Betweeen Ross deciding that being aware of something meant he was totally uneffected by it (mirrored by such a beautiful performance from the instant brick lover) and the fact that the big moral choice of the session didn’t warrent an eyeblink despite the emotional impact of the concept -and- it’s execution (hand waved innocent slaughter for the “greater good”, so long as that greater good is the side YOUR on)…bah.

Kaleb, you do beautiful things. Maybe someday I’ll have a chance to sit in on a game and appreciate what happens withOUT metagaming my charecter into absurdity and pretending role-playing games exist for the sole purpose of getting your “I’m a cold hearted bastard” rocks off.

22. Omega
    August 24, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Alright, so listening to Know Evil again, and I have a question I don’t think I’ve ever seen answered.

What’s Caleb’s beef with the Space Whales? Like, I can understand Suryas being kind of bizarre and stuff (but certainly not the weirdest thing Transhumanity does. Nobody goes to the Sun anyway, so it’s easy to ignore), but this episode implies he also has something against the regular Neo-Whale uplifts. I mean, besides that there’s only like 10 of those guys left after the Fall.

23. Butters
    March 20, 2014 at 12:48 am

The Golden chisel award goes to Ross I think this is such a fantastic adventure where Caleb has really tried to introduce challenging concepts and Eclipse Phase is a great setting where death is just a temporary annoyance but it does seem to allow a clever player to design an ultimate character with a solution to everything.
    And Ross shows that here as he knows the brick is bad he doesn’t want his character to pick it up so uses every excuse possible not to.
    This is not to dump on Ross it just shows what someone can do if they really know the system and how to work it. And this problem pops up again in this campaign which does suck some of the terror out of it.

24. darren t.
    April 13, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Spooky bricks are always fun to pick up & show to your friends, throw them in the lunar gravity to have them go for miles & miles of even more fun. Love the idea of the future Kraken episodes & any other octopus morph related shows in other EP games having subliminal friendly messages or conspiracies for all the fans.

As for the EP art, another good place to look (found recently) is the google+ community for EP with a lot of fun resources there too.