Little Fears: Polybius

Would you like to play a game?A group of kids on summer vacation have found an unusual arcade game called Polybius. While its graphics are old, its gameplay is second to none. Unfortunately, it seems that those who play it are tampering with forces Man Was Not Meant To Know. Find out what happens when the spirits of dead video game enemies haunt the players that killed them!  This was a ransom request game from the Killsplosion Kickstarter. Enjoy!  Also Little Fears is a fun RPG.

20 comments for “Little Fears: Polybius

1. Thaddeus
    January 18, 2012 at 6:57 pm

We JUST played that game… and you’re already posting it?

Ross… are you okay? You know you can tell us anything, right? Unless it’s boring.

2. iceemaker
    January 19, 2012 at 12:16 am

Thad, you certainly summarized this session as best as one could hope with, “That was fudged up, man.” Creepy session, particularly the game’s evolution after certain milestones were reached.

I also seriously regret consulting the Wikipedia article on Polybius. And not the one on the Greek historian. Uggh.

January 19, 2012 at 5:14 am

roll to need to pee was the best mechanic ever. also Polybius is awesome, love the Ross Payton internet urban legend-into-game concept trope.

4. Sam
    January 21, 2012 at 12:31 am

Woooo, listening to this game while trapped in a fever delirium was not a good idea.

Listening to it once human was a fantastic idea. Great game, fantastic roleplaying all around. Glad you did such a good service to the system, Ross.

5. Janne
    January 30, 2012 at 7:50 am

I like how every time GM reads tables he hums “dun-dun-duu”. So sexy.

6. Parenon
    January 30, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Hey, long time listener, first time commenter. Love the podcast, both AP and regular.

But I was wondering, which edition of Little Fears is this? Since looking around there’s 3 different versions. Original, Nightmare, 10th anniversary.

Thanks.

7. January 30, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I ran it with the Nightmare Edition.

8. Catherine DeSpira
    March 5, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I conducted an in depth investigation into The Polybius Legend and concluded some very important things. There was FBI involvement with videos games in Portland , Oregon in the early 80s and there were two incidences regarding kids being hurt by a video game. But it’s not what you think. However, the most surprising finding I made is just who Steven Roach was and how he came to play his part in the legend.

I am quite confident you will come away after reading my article with a complete understanding of how this legend began and what it means today.

You can read the article by visiting RETROCADE MAGAZINE.

Catherine DeSpira

9. Chance
    April 27, 2012 at 9:28 am

Man Little Fears sounds like a pretty cool game. Loved this session and between this and Monster and Other Childish Things, you guys seem to really shine when given the chance to act like children.

10. MKS
    June 7, 2012 at 9:29 pm

@Ross was this what inspired you to make this game session?

11. June 12, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I was aware of that short film but I was more inspired by this creepypasta http://inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com/2010/08/killswitch.html

12. Review Cultist
    October 11, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Are there any other Little Fears games down the line for RPPR?

13. Jake
    January 13, 2013 at 2:26 am

I’d love to see your GM notes on this adventure, any chance you’ll be making them available? I’m running a Little Fears game (inspired by this AP) and I think this kind of adventure would work really well in our current story.

14. June 18, 2013 at 3:23 am

How is this one-shot amazing? Let me count the ways:

* Based on an Internet legend (I’m a sucker for those.)

* It’s a game where you roleplay kids. Like CyberGeneration only… workable. And the RPPR crew did an excellent job of getting into characeter as pre-adolescents.

* The game is scary without being traumatizing, and not all the scares are jump-scares – such as the monsters stalking around the outside of the blanket fort.

* It would film well – the hide and seek challenge between the kids and the Knight, and its callback later in the game, is absolutely brilliant. It’s also a pretty meaty plot with several beats.

* There’s real closure. It’s easy to overstuff a one-shot with inspirations and then run out of beats to wrap it all up. The kids learned what they had to learn about the game, worked around the obstacles, met the final challenge, and got a happy ending.

Well played, RPPR.

15. June 19, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Thanks! I’ll probably run at least one more thematically similar game but next time I’ll most likely use Monsters and Other Childish Things as a system because I’m more familiar with it. You can run MAOCT without giving each kid a monster, so it would work just as well as Little Fears.

16. Jake
    June 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I’ve been looking at the same sort of thing. Little Fears was a fun play for my group, but the system seemed to easy for them to game, and the rolls were always absurdly higher than my target numbers. Maybe it’s just a matter of playing it and figuring out what target numbers work, but my group pretty much obliterated anything I threw at them. I’ve been thinking of taking the meta-plot I had for a series of one-shots and moving it to the version of one-roll that MAOCT uses, I’m glad I’m not the only one.

17. June 19, 2013 at 4:46 pm

If you use MAOCT, I recommend Bigger Bads – it has rules for kids with powers and a bunch of other great new mechanics to round out a game.

My next themed game will probably involve something like the NES Godzilla creepypasta http://nesgodzillacreepypasta.blog.com/2011/07/07/chapter1/

18. July 21, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Upon reading through the NES Godzilla creepypasta, I cant wait to hear how you interpret it.

19. Jonathon M. Johnson
    August 5, 2014 at 7:00 am

Excellent podcast with the information and the group playing great together.

I look forward to listening to the other Little Fear podcast, Night of the Squashed Cat (Which BTW is not on your RPPR Actual Play website, but on the original RPPR site) first and then heading on over to listen to the Monsters and Other Childish Things podcasts.

Keep on talkin’