Trail of Cthulhu – The Dream Factory – Part 2

df2The secrets of Hollywood have never been so dark! After experiencing missing time, the private investigators discover a secret cult operating within Los Angeles. Their cryptic allies have told them the cult owns a weapon that can destroy the cursed mirror in their possession, but what is it? Even if they find the weapon, their mission to rescue the actress from the clutches of the cult will be no easier. It is all building to a confrontation with the elusive leader of the cult, but will anyone survive to investigate certain events in New York in January 1925?

20 comments for “Trail of Cthulhu – The Dream Factory – Part 2

January 22, 2015 at 11:54 am

“even with Mythos magic, silent films can’t compare to talkies”

that’s the most wonderfully cynical thought about film audiences I’ve ever heard, I love it

my guess was that they were using the trapped filmfolk as recyclable sacrifices, but I guess “feeding your serial killer’s need to stabitate ladies” is close enough

2. Ninjaguiden
    January 22, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Nice to see the plot really moving along, though there were parts where I really wanted to sic Caleb on the group, so much indecision and debating in situations where quick action was called for in-universe. The trade with Laura for the film was especially drawn out.

Also, Sean might be the most murderhobo PC I’ve encountered on this site. Is he playing a priest or violent sadist wearing the garments of the priest he killed for not telling him what he needed to know?

3. Velasa
    January 23, 2015 at 3:22 am

To be fair Ninjaguiden, Monsignor Killjoy has seen some shit. I’d say for a good faithful Catholic priest confronted with what seems by all rights like genuine deamons, ‘kill em all’ seems like a pretty valid reaction. You want to forgive and all but Satan never actually says those Hail Marys after he leaves the booth.

4. Darthrex
    January 23, 2015 at 1:23 pm

I gotta say that this group seems really prone to prevarication. At a certain point I would be tempted to give them an object lesson and just have Alex scream something foreign and summon a daemon.

5. January 24, 2015 at 4:11 pm

I like this group, and I can’t wait to hear when they get into Masks.

My only disappointment: I wanted MOAR Firebug.

6. Ninjaguiden
    January 24, 2015 at 5:37 pm

You make a good point Velasa, though I still think he’s a bit bloodthirsty at points (I think it was the “poking the gun into the wounds” that really got to me). Will be interesting to see how long this game will run for.

January 24, 2015 at 5:46 pm

it’s Masks, so if no players succumb to senescence before act two that’s a pretty good clip. that shit is looong.

and I like the murderous priest! but I have a very RPPRish view of religion, so I have no concept of a murderous priest being something, like, unusual. didn’t even occur to me until it was mentioned here.

8. January 24, 2015 at 5:51 pm

The next episode will kick off Masks, around February 4th or so. Firebug was pretty limited in the original scenario and I didn’t think to expand his role.

Keep in mind, he’s an Irish priest in the 1920s – revolutions and kicking ass in the name of the Lord was pretty much the fashion of the time.

9. Darthrex
    January 24, 2015 at 9:31 pm

He’s just kicking off the liberation theology movement a little early. I fully expect him to dual wield pump shotguns at some point though. preferably while wearing some sort of bandolier.

10. Ethan C.
    January 25, 2015 at 3:41 am

Wow, so the crazy film director and his murderer-girlfriend got off scot free at the end. The priest shoulda tossed those molotovs when he had the chance!

11. matt
    January 26, 2015 at 9:00 pm

I think Killjoy is based a lot more on the “Irishmen are violent, brutal, drunken revolutionaries” trope than the “priests are psychopathic killers” trope.

But, he’s a mythos investigator, so they all wind up a little of column A and a little of column B if they live long enough.

January 28, 2015 at 12:31 am

by the way, why was it called The Dream Factory? was that an early romantic name for Hollywood or something?

January 28, 2015 at 12:33 am

I just remembered Google exists and can confirm indeed it is

14. malkav11
    February 3, 2015 at 9:51 pm

I would have lured Alex & co to the cabin and then started combat, personally. Negotiating is all very well when attempting to avoid involving the police in residential LA, but you can’t afford to let murderous cultists of Shub Niggurath survive, much less ones that have met you and can identify you.

15. Tim
    February 6, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Is this a published scenario? I think I heard that it was and its name but am too lazy to go back and find it.

16. February 7, 2015 at 2:42 pm

This is indeed a published scenario. You can find Dream Factory (written by John Scott Tynes of Delta Green fame) in Mortal Coils: http://arkhambazaar.com/games/mortal-coils-1920s-cofc-scenario-book/

17. Tim
    February 7, 2015 at 7:23 pm

That makes sense, I was looking for Trail of Cthulhu and Dream Factory and not finding anything. Had not realized it was COC scenario you ported. Thanks for the pointer.

18. Andrew
    April 3, 2015 at 10:48 am

What was the website you were looking at when reading the very creepy bit about the bodies? I’m assuming it’s a fact-gathering site, and good for RP generation and ideas.

19. Samson
    November 3, 2015 at 4:18 am

10 minutes with a hacksaw will save you 30 with a shovel.