Better Angels: The Spared and the Spoiled episode 9

ba-angelThe troubles of the Fiendish Four never end! Their actions have attracted the attentions of their angelic counterparts, who can pose more danger than any rival demonically possessed superperson. Not only are they equipped with incredible powers, beating up on an angelically possessed person sure sounds like a sin, doesn’t it? But for the sake of the KEEDZZZ, the Fiendish (or Framed Four if you prefer) won’t let them get in their way. Plus, they do have a guy who turn things into other things. Who can beat that?

17 comments for “Better Angels: The Spared and the Spoiled episode 9

1. zero
    May 7, 2014 at 6:01 am

Hooray! I hadn’t listened to the new Eclipse Phase since I’m still working on the original campaign, and now more Better Angels. Plus with real angels apparently!

My day is saved.

2. zero
    May 7, 2014 at 7:06 am

*SPOILER*

Best line ever.

“You built yourself a Batman, Mr Rourke”

3. May 7, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Demon vs Angel combat was like, twice as awesome as I’d hoped. Hilarious and cool session.

4. JWhit
    May 7, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I’m so sad that we’re getting to the endgame :(
    But the episode might have been my favorite, I can’t wait to see how things end up :D

May 7, 2014 at 11:36 pm

bags of chrisma! bags and bags of it!

I’m totally into the actual plot of the campaign, dying to know what’s going on, but the write-what-you-know school stuff is just pure gold. the steampunk grading machine, omg, can’t cope. definitely a day one purchase when this hits the PDFs.

6. zero
    May 8, 2014 at 6:06 am

I still don’t really get a sense of danger though. Sure enemies hurt your stats, but until Ross got nearly dragged to hell, I never felt anyone could lose, and even that was ruled to be a ‘bounce back and forth’ sorta thing?

it’s a great campaign, but PCs feel invincible to my understanding of the game.

7. Daniel
    May 9, 2014 at 4:56 am

So why is it called Better Angels anyway?

8. zero
    May 9, 2014 at 6:06 am

I always figured it was the concept of “only one infested with a demon, can be a better type of angel”

9. Caleb
    May 9, 2014 at 9:27 am

Shakespeare used the phrase “better angel” in Othello and that’s most likely where Lincoln got the inspiration to use it in his inauguration. Charles Dickens used the phrase a couple decades earlier than Abe and that is likely what the title refers to. Here’s the Dickens quote

“The thoughts of worldly men are for ever regulated by a moral law of gravitation, which, like the physical one, holds them down to earth. The bright glory of day, and the silent wonders of a starlit night, appeal to their minds in vain. There are no signs in the sun, or in the moon, or in the stars, for their reading. They are like some wise men, who, learning to know each planet by its Latin name, have quite forgotten such small heavenly constellations as Charity, Forbearance, Universal Love, and Mercy, although they shine by night and day so brightly that the blind may see them; and who, looking upward at the spangled sky, see nothing there but the reflection of their own great wisdom and book-learning…

“It is curious to imagine these people of the world, busy in thought, turning their eyes towards the countless spheres that shine above us, and making them reflect the only images their minds contain…So do the shadows of our own desires stand between us and our better angels, and thus their brightness is eclipsed.”

10. May 9, 2014 at 9:39 am

The phrase is “the better angels of our nature,” coming from Lincoln’s first inaugural address. Now I certainly can’t speak for Greg Stolze, but I would hazard a guess that it refers to the choice between good and evil upon receiving a demon, and choosing to do whats right with a devil whispering in your ear, i.e. the player to your left.

May 9, 2014 at 12:40 pm

you could probably make an RPG out of most of Shakespeare’s better lines. Now is the Winter would work for a lot of post-apocalyptic RPGs. Out, Spot! would be a powerful piece about teaching at-risk inner city dogs to read. and of course Love May Transform Me to an Oyster, the game of romantic oyster transformation [citation needed].

12. Clinton
    May 10, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Always good to listen to a new episode of The Spared and The Spoiled. I had a unflinching smile all the way through the day due to the non stop greatness of steam punk scanners and things being changed into other things. Thank you for brightening my day as I do my job, breaking apart electronics to tear the copper out of them where I will then hastily scurry away to hide it so I can scrap it later on.

13. TwistingH
    May 10, 2014 at 6:56 pm

6 minutes in. I can’t stop laughing at Caleb’s critique of college classes. Too close to home sir.

14. May 11, 2014 at 5:35 am

lmao, I love David. “My name is- FUCK YOU!” Between that & the bird puns, he gets my vote for MVP this session. Thanks, guys.

May 11, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Between the Grackle Cannon, the Puns and the EVIL LAUGH near the end, I’ll agree with Aerzyk that David was MVP in this one. :)

Though other highly awesome moments were: Bill’s trick near the end of the fight, Tarmouth, and Pencil sharpener + EVIL scanner. I can’t list ‘em all.

16. zero
    May 12, 2014 at 6:12 am

David’s been the MVP of the entire campaign, IMO.

That said, I also like Frank from Accounting.

17. David
    May 12, 2014 at 11:29 am

I approached the campaign with the mindset of making a villain of the sort one might see in the old Adam West Batman show (complete with the “ZOWIE!” on the punches) and the closest I could do to convey that was to Ham up everything and make all the bad puns. ALL of them!

The Grackel Cannon (or 4-and-20 ought six) is a ridiculous weapon, and it is also ridiculously effective. I never expected it to work that well; I thought a bird-bazooka would look cumbersome, bulky, and comically campy. I never thought the damned thing would work, let alone work well.

Personally, my vote for MVP goes to Sara. She has had sooo so many moments of quiet awesome and the biggest of those is STILL Frank Cooper From Accounting.