Call of Cthulhu: The Iron Banded Box

“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.” In this one shot, a group of ronin samurai wander the chaotic and violent countryside of Japan in the turbulent Sengoku era. When they chance upon a village, they stumble upon a hidden darkness far worse than they could imagine. After agreeing to help the villagers, the ronin encounter things beyond their comprehension. Only their blades and strength stand between the innocent and an unknowable evil.  Can their skills prevail against their inhuman foes? Find out in this special prequel to the next RPPR campaign, Tribes of Tokyo!

16 comments for “Call of Cthulhu: The Iron Banded Box

July 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm

so is Xing Nyarlathotep? or am I reading too much Mythos into this

2. ben
    July 3, 2013 at 1:33 pm

You guys are great I can’t wait for this new game just found you recently and i have been having a great time listening to the old games especially all the mythos and eclipse phase

3. Caleb
    July 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm

It’s Ross, Crawkill.

You can’t read too much mythos into anything.

4. Daniel
    July 4, 2013 at 7:47 am

I did not care for the lack of zombies Ross. More zombies Ross. Well there was a vampire 10/10.

5. Dom
    July 4, 2013 at 9:07 am

I really liked this AP. As someone who has a lot of interest in Japanese history and culture, this was right up my alley.

And Caleb’s “I’ve made a huge mistake” moment was hilarious. 😀

6. Darthrex
    July 5, 2013 at 12:48 am

It’s like the 7 samurai if instead of 7 there were 4 and instead of samurai they were stooges…
    Caleb wins MVP for “I scratch my body hair!”

7. Sam
    July 5, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Excellent session. Loved the brutal, swift ending. The duel in the woods was incredibly badass.

8. archaicProspect
    July 5, 2013 at 5:15 pm

This is probably one of my favorite AP episodes that you guys have ever done. Every moment of this was entertaining as hell.

9. Beej
    July 6, 2013 at 1:09 am

Really enjoyed the AP. Looking forward to Tribes of Tokyo. “My cousin is dead!”

10. Ethan C.
    July 6, 2013 at 4:53 pm

This was really good. Sounded like Caleb was “method acting” there a little…

July 7, 2013 at 9:52 pm

What is it about Japan that makes Caleb a wastrel?

Also I now miss reading Usagi Yojimbo, that dice game is all over the comic.

12. Dan
    July 12, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Outragious. Funny and action packed. It was so good that even your lips where out of cink. Great lines in the background too. “ever notice that all of our structures are fire traps?” “Make way people.. sword on a stick.” “My cousin died.” Thanks again. Beats what is on tv now. Whats next a coc western… Mi-go at Dodge?

13. Gregg
    July 18, 2013 at 5:01 pm

And here I was wondering if Xing was Omar Shakhti!

December 24, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Nice scenario! Great roleplaying all around. Great, er… ending, heh heh.

15. April 22, 2015 at 2:51 am

This is by far my favorite episode of the actual plays. I need the crew to be samurai’s again. Whether they are in CoC or Legend of the 5 Rings, you know what, especially if its LO5R. SCRATCH THAT STUBLE!

16. KenR
    August 24, 2015 at 9:39 am

This one really clears up any confusion I had from the very end of Tribes of Tokyo. It’s pretty clear exactly what Xing is after listening to it.

It’s also funny as hell. The moment where Ross goes and gets a Jimmy John’s cup for the dice game slayed me.