Eclipse Phase: Know Evil episode 1

Learn more about the campaign on the RPPR forums.  In the future, only 5% of humanity remains after rogue AIs known as the TITANs turned Earth into a hellish wasteland and then disappeared. The remainder lives throughout the solar system. Only a secret vigilante organization known as Firewall protects humanity from the remnants of the TITANs and any other existential threats. One team of low level Firewall sentinels has been assigned to investigate Thought, a space station owned by the hypercorpration Cognite in orbit over Venus after an undercover agent assigned to the station went missing. More disturbingly, the backup of her mind is corrupt – something that should be impossible. The team consists of Bartleby: A lost generation brinker, Preston: an uplifted octopus socialite, SAIRAC, an argonaut AGI, Fayun, a Lunar criminal and Gerrad a Fall Evacuee anarchist. Infiltrating a secret orbital research facility will be hard to accomplish to say the least. How will they get in and what will they discover? Find out in this first double length episode of Eclipse Phase: Know Evil!

33 comments for “Eclipse Phase: Know Evil episode 1

1. joe
    September 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm

2. joe
    September 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm

sweet, Ross and Aaron playing EP together. Can’t wait until I listen to the beginning of this epic campaign. Also I love the ‘not street level’ tag.

3. Brandon - SimonLucid
    September 25, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Can’t wait to listen!

4. Patrick
    September 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Yes, Eclipse Phase!

5. Dom
    September 25, 2011 at 5:35 pm

HELL YEAH.

HELL.

YEAH.

6. Omega
    September 25, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Five and a half hours, perfect. I can listen to this tonight AND still have enough left over for inbetween classes tomorrow.

7. BenH
    September 25, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I’ve been looking forward to this since it was first mentioned. I’m stoked!

September 26, 2011 at 2:03 am

giving Aaron a seed AI in his pocket in round one: definitely nooot street level. but yeah, awesome! it’s finally here! too bad to extrapolate that we’re pry not gonna hear much more from Cody in this one =( but yesss I long for mooore

9. Victor Rhodes
    September 27, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I have been adoring these, they are both creepy and exhilarating, cheers and keep posting this campaign.

10. Jacob
    September 28, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Yeah, sweet, yeah, sure… Lovely duo there…

OK, still waiting for a bit of World of Darkness APs. I know Candle Cove and Arcadia Signal by heart already.

11. Z
    September 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm

holy shit cody and bill’s entrance to the station was incredible

12. Z
    September 28, 2011 at 2:04 pm

except it wasn’t bill

13. Sam
    September 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm

That’s one hell of a start to a campaign. Can’t wait to hear what happens next.

14. Ed
    September 28, 2011 at 3:37 pm

So, do you think that Caleb could send off a beta fork to ghost ride on my stack when I game master?

September 29, 2011 at 12:19 am

Oddly, my favorite thing was the confusing way there were always conversations going on. It make the serious bits funnier. Also how Aaron managed to make a kill bot without seeming to plan that (and then he channeled the professor with the broken nose).

16. Vigil
    September 29, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Came to this site for the CoC, staying for the EP. Thanks again for another great episode. Keep em coming.

17. joe
    September 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm

another great episode. One rules lawyer complaint/correction; rolling double zeros is actually always a critical success.

18. Carl
    September 29, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Tom’s portrayal of the octopoid is HILARIOUS!!!!

19. September 29, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Sweet double length episode! I’m liking these giant chunks of gameplay. I’m excited for the conclusion!

20. Mehmer
    September 30, 2011 at 11:57 am

Kind of got really bad when there were 3 conversations going at once. It was harder to listen to than a convention game recording because all the conversations were right around the mike.

21. Caleb
    September 30, 2011 at 3:01 pm

The recording quality gets better as the campaign goes on, I think. It is rare that we have as many players as there were in this game (6) in any given session. Additionally, only about half the people playing had read the books by this point, so there is less table talk involving how the rules work later on. To my mind, the next session is where the campaign really gets going.

22. Beej
    October 1, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I’ve disliked all the previous EP posts but this game I enjoy. I’ll never play the system but the game is really fun to listen to. So far Tom’s octopus and Ross his goon steals the show.

23. Fred
    October 2, 2011 at 11:45 pm

DDR virus and Cody singing Sandstorm was insanely hilarious! Dancing tachikomas for the win! Good job guys! Your EP games never fail to be awesome.

24. October 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm

@Caleb, was that an American Psycho reference regarding the business cards and bone? Nice.

25. Craig
    October 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I love these actual play recordings, please more EP sessions from you guys, you rule.

26. TheSnark
    October 9, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Awesome session, I’d love to hear more episodes from this campaign.

27. Hotaru Zoku
    June 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm

The rp is nuts. This GM gets into charecter faster than I
    can check a stat sheet, he has ludicrous imagination,
    AND grasps how the greatest threat to immortal beings is
    Insanity.

The players are playing one of the biggest A-hole collections in
    human history, yet somehow manage to…tolerate each other.

Bravo.

28. ajg6116
    May 9, 2013 at 10:30 am

This episode is great. A little trouble hearing at some points due to others talking near the mike, but overall I enjoy it. Never heard of Eclipse Phase It sounds like a blast though. Caleb I got to give mad props to you for creating a very exciting entrance for these players to what seems to be an amazing campaign.

June 11, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Just getting into the Eclipse Phase campaign- boy I wish I had started listening sooner…

I also enjoyed Aaron’s DDR virus phase and Cody providing music with the “Sandstorm” song!

30. darren t.
    April 7, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Between the DDR virus & the shuttle pilot ready to space anyone who got even a little sick were such a delight to hear in the game I’m definitely going to steal it when I try to run EP for my friends.

31. January 1, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Interesting, feels like a real gaming situation. In future episodes I hope they position the recording input further away from the bag of chips. In space, no one can hear you munch and crinkle.

32. KenR
    July 7, 2015 at 11:48 am

As a late-comer to RPPR it’s interesting to go back and start on this after hearing references to it in other games and many shows.

It’s off to a strong start. It was impressive how many desperate people crossed paths on the Thought station, each with their own plans.

This is also a very cool way to get a feel for Eclipse Phase – after hearing about Bartleby’s background (and Bradley) I had to look up the Lost. The setting is stuffed with evocative plot hooks and the game is already bringing them to life.

One thing I have to ask about – I think there was a Shwebay (spelling?) mentioned as an NPC in the shuttle. I also recall Schwebay showing up briefly as Ms. Ledbetter’s husband’s business plan (St. Louis Bicycle delivery?) in No Soul Left Behind – is that a reference to something else?

33. January 25, 2016 at 11:15 pm

@KenR – I just forgot about this comment until now – I think the answer is in here somewhere or if not, feel free to ask http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,1671.0.html