Eclipse Phase: The Devotees part 1

Eclipse_Phase_The_Devotees-1Normally a crossroads for Nine Lives (the ego trading cartel) trafficking, the gang’s asteroid stronghold, Legba, has grown more violent and strange than usual. Slaves participating in gladiatorial deathmatch XPs display disturbing enthusiasm and devotion. Upper echelon Nine Lives  lieutenants are farcasting in for an unprecedented important meeting. A Firewall operative undercover on the habitat has requested sentinel support, warning that Nine Lives may be in possession of something representing an x-threat.

This adventure was written by Caleb Stokes and is now available for purchase at DrivethruRPG. This AP is a playtest of the scenario so your experiences may vary.

22 comments for “Eclipse Phase: The Devotees part 1

April 28, 2014 at 12:21 am

what the fuck that history of Nine Lives was completely brilliant is that EP canon

2. Sam
    April 28, 2014 at 1:24 am

It certainly is now

3. April 28, 2014 at 8:40 am

That Nine Lives back-story was amazing. Think I’ll hold off on listening to this for a while, see if I can hold out until the second part comes out (will probably cave in two days tops, love EP).

4. Burn the Unclean
    April 28, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Buy his damn book so we can get more official EP.

5. Ben Wenham
    April 28, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Caleb, the devotees is amaze balls.

6. Caleb
    April 28, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Thanks guys!

April 28, 2014 at 7:08 pm

omg Nine Lives are the most evil people ever, like, it is impossible to envision a faction more malign than these fuckers. I remember commenting wayyy back during Know Evil that I thought Nine Lives was a little cartoonish, ’cause, like, making yourselves the most hated people in the entire universe, y’know, probably easier ways to get rich. but the religious psycho/ascendant forking singularity chaser angle make them make a lot more sense to me. when their motives aren’t just cash.

every time you guys play EP I’m reminded of how much of the setting material I’ve still never read, even in the core. gotta get to that some time.

8. Mr. Fantastic
    April 28, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Even though I’ve read the pdf, and listened to the entire campaign that this is a prequel to, it is utterly thrilling. Keep up the good work, guys. 🙂

9. Scribbleykins
    April 29, 2014 at 11:58 am

Brilliant, brilliant stuff. I keep on loving the Caleb games.

10. Ethan C.
    April 29, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Nobody does a horrifying infodump monologue like Caleb. I think that might be the most important skill one can have for running Eclipse Phase. Man, I could hear them all gasp when he name-dropped everybody’s favorite baby Titan.

Speaking of which: Caleb, is that how you came up with the idea of Awe? Basically, thinking about what would happen if somebody applied the Augustine programming to a normal human? I cant remember — was Awe specifically mentioned in the original KE adventure, or is it new?

Also: great job justifying Nine Lives’s horrible reputation. I always kinda wondered why people thought they were so much worse than the other slave dealers. Now I know.

11. Levi
    April 29, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Could be mixing things up, but I think Awe was what made Augustine so ready to serve in the beginning of the Know Evil series.

12. malkav11
    April 30, 2014 at 12:09 am

Yep, Awe was how they planned to make a seed AGI that wouldn’t turn on its creators. Of course, it’s still basically playing Russian Roulette, just with a reduced bullet count.

13. Ethan C.
    April 30, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I thought it sounded familiar. I like how it’s now become its own x-threat thanks to falling into the wrong hands. I guess 9 Lives’s plan is to 0-day the new ego bridge, fork & Awe everybody in the solar system, and basically pwn the entire transhuman species. That…yeah, sounds like a job for Firewall.

PS I’m glad somebody at least asked the question, “Why haven’t the hypercorps just nuked this Legba place already?” I often find it hard to buy that places like that can stay around for any length of time, but at least there’s some attempt to justify it in the scenario with the killsats. Though I fervently hope that the sentinels can manage to seize the sats, turn ’em around, and blow the whole place to scrap. Guess we’ll see…

May 1, 2014 at 7:31 am

@EthanC I was mulling that one over before and after the in-game answer, and the ultimate conclusion I came to was, “is it just because they behave nothing like a traditional government that makes you think that Nine Lives isn’t the most powerful group in the system?” I shivered.

15. malkav11
    May 2, 2014 at 12:36 am

Nine Lives was an outgrowth of corporate ego trafficking. I would guess that they still have significant business ties with many of the hypercorps. What corp can’t use thousands of enslav…I mean, “indentured” souls?

16. JWhit
    May 4, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I would really love to know how Caleb can pull out so many different character/voices seemingly out of nowhere and they all fit seamlessly into games.

17. Humanity Akbar
    May 19, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Caleb is SO innovative and playful

creating the quadruple-entendre SkudgelTMRSTLNEMP3, which is a combination Stealth-enabled Space Shuttle with Scheduling & Cudgel capabilities

18. Sam
    November 28, 2014 at 2:17 am

I know this is gonna sound bad, but Aaron needs to know when to shut up.

19. Aaron
    November 29, 2014 at 7:40 pm

@Sam –

Well in that case you’ll probably not want to listen to this:

I talk throughout the entire video.

20. Sam
    December 1, 2014 at 6:38 am

@Aaron
    I mean in-character. Sometimes your characters give away too much information.
    It does make things interesting though.

21. Brendon
    September 3, 2015 at 12:48 pm

I would love to listen to this, but someone is crunching chips throughout the entire beginning, and it is so damned annoying I cannot bring myself to listen to this.

Rolled a Critical Failure on production value.