Call of Cthulhu: The Horrible Lonely House in the Woods

This episode is sponsored by Audible Books. Sign up today and get a free 14 day trial and audiobook.

Three Harvard college students find themselves stranded in the wilderness of Maine. A man lurches in front of their car as they travel through the forest. The man is injured and their only shelter is a house near the road. Little do they know of the ancient evil that dwells in the house. This one shot is from the magazine Worlds of Cthulhu issue #4. I ran the scenario back in 2009 and I’ve never had a chance to post it until now. Enjoy!

17 comments for “Call of Cthulhu: The Horrible Lonely House in the Woods

1. Jay Dugger
    October 9, 2011 at 12:50 am

Now that you’ve a sponsor, we’ll see more frequent postings, right?

2. Z
    October 9, 2011 at 12:04 pm

This is a really well run game. I’ve never read the scenario, but you made it much less corny than I imagined it would be.

also totes scary

3. October 9, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I enjoyed the heck out of this game. Too bad Aaron had to die and then die again. Holy Critstorm!

4. October 9, 2011 at 7:26 pm

And so the entire story of Aaron’s second double death game of Call of Cthulhu is now known. I can’t put this on up to dumb mistakes either, this game was just swinging wildly between critical success and critical failure.

October 9, 2011 at 10:27 pm

cool scenario! Audible’s fawesome, by the way. used it for years and years and never had a problem with it. unlimited redownloads, well-chapterized, you can authorize a bunch of devices at a time and de-authing em is easy. highly recommend.

6. Patrick
    October 10, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Zombie Aaron kicks ass!

I definitely liked this scenario and the whole “Evil Dead” feel.

Dr. Deadingston is by far the game MVP, with Tom coming in a close second for his “work shed…” line.

Jason’s jock managed to survive, but alas, his football career is over and a horrible evil was loosed upon the world. Not a bad day’s work all in all!

7. Harry Rhodes
    October 11, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I hope that we can also hear the space shuttle scenario. I just ran a home-brew on myself,

8. Beej
    October 13, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Love it. Can’t wait to hear the Space Shuttle scenario.

October 16, 2011 at 10:59 am

Zombie Aaron did have a good plan, just didn’t stand up to three impales.

On the spinal injuries, I don’t even know if they understood them in the 20s. But you Can’t do a spinal assessment unless the person is awake and aware. Even then most people won’t do one. I have an EMT friend (they’re like cabbies but charge more and know CPR) who got twitchy after I explained how they work.

October 17, 2011 at 12:48 pm

like, jab people with needles and ask if they can feel it?

11. Max
    October 20, 2011 at 8:50 am

Pretty awesome! I’d say this is the first scenario I’ve listened on RPPR CoC/DG that ended with a complete failure 😀

October 30, 2011 at 1:20 am

A bit, something like “which toe am I pinching?” and “Where am I tapping you?” If they can’t answer those then they have spinal damage (assume so) and moving them will make it worse without a sturdy board. Even then, it’s risky at best and you only move them if there’s a real and present danger to where they’re laying. Also you’d put them on the floor with something to keep them staring straight ahead and not on a soft place.

13. Nomad4life
    November 5, 2011 at 11:25 pm

There should be an actual, literal badge for getting a character killed twice in one CoC game. If CoC had achievements like an XBox game, that would be one of them.

14. toolbox
    January 28, 2013 at 9:46 am

Great game, I’m trying to find out where you can purchase an electronic version of the World of Cthulhu issue 4 so I can get the scenario but i’m not having any luck.
    can anyone point me in the right direction

15. Wesely
    April 18, 2013 at 12:40 am

@toolbox There are none. You have to find a copy on ebay or some other place since the magazine is out of print.

16. toolbox
    April 18, 2013 at 2:41 am

@Wesely Thanks, I ended up just adapting it from what i remembered anyways for a Nemesis game. Luckily there weren’t too many monsters. Appreciate the reply

May 26, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Awesome ending. Jason- “I had 10hp left!”