Call of Cthulhu: Delta Green – Lover in the Ice

To: Cell Q
From: Andrea
Subject: A Night at the Opera (attachment: Cyrano de Bergerac)

STATUS: PARROT reports breach of GREEN BOX 224, hereafter DESIGNATE as PACKAGE at 0246 hours Jan 4th.  DESIGNATE “Zookeeper” CONFIRMS at 0815 Jan. 5th. A-Cell BLIND on the ground due to weather.  Q-cell ABORT current OBJECTIVE. New mission LOAD-OUT found in TRANSPORT with one FRIENDLY Pvt. W.

MISSION PRIORITIES: CONTAINMENT of PACKAGE is highest priority.  Agents should take all care to maintain OPERATIONAL SECURITY.

TARGET ONE: Establish CONTACT with “Zookeeper.”

CHALLENGE: “Would you like to go to the zoo?”
AUTHENTICATE: “Yes, but only if I can stay outside.”

TARGET TWO: Establish HOME PLATE at “Zookeeper’s” office and move to ASSESS PACKAGE.

TARGET THREE: TRANSPORT PACKAGE to HOME PLATE.

TARGET FOUR: Split into two units

UNIT ALPHA: PLAY ZEPPO.  GO SECURE using hardline modem at HOME PLATE and INVENTORY PACKAGE.  Warning: minimum intelligence encouraged.  Beware TOME ROT

UNIT BETA: INVESTIGATE surrounding area for signs of NORWEIGIAN contamination.

TARGET FIVE: A-Cell will DECLARE THREATS from BOX 224.  Units REGROUP and REASSESS with new intelligence.

TARGET SIX: If HOSTILES present, Q-Cell CLEARED HOT for 48 hours until ALPHABET SOUP DEPLOYMENT.  ELIMINATE THE VECTOR

MISSION SUCCESS:  PACKAGE SECURED and OPERATIONAL SECURITY maintained until DUCK SOUP specialist arrives.

MISSION FAILURE: If no NEW PICTURE established via HOME PLATE hardline by 0500 Jan. 8th, CYCLOPS will place BLUE/BLUE BIRDS in the air and SEPPPUKU PROTOCOL will be in effect for Q-cell and all relatives.

49 comments for “Call of Cthulhu: Delta Green – Lover in the Ice

1. Scribbleykins
    May 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Well… that was an absolutely fantastic pair of sessions. I loved the process of opening of the greenboxes, the big bad and the showdown. You guys did pretty amazing.

One thing I have to ask, though. Why was “Norwegian” the codeword for ‘someone who knows too much to live’? Is it a reference to the Norwegian fisherman from ‘Call of Cthlulhu’ by good ol’ H.P?

2. SageNytell
    May 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Awesome, more CoC action an a long one at that! I’m saving these up for vacation travel – this promises to be good!

3. Salkovich
    May 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Oh man, halfway through this one already. DAMN, CALEB. DAMN.

May 21, 2011 at 4:55 pm

god I love Caleb as a GM. as a player, too, but having so much airtime and churning out so many personae so quickly he just goddamn shines. kinda sad this one lacked the abject zaniness of Bryson Springs and Andrew’s Fortune, but even so. Amante’s wild.

love love love the author/triptacular reams of paper exposition technique (wth Man Jesus with the Golden Arm is such a terrifying title for any damn thing). I did the same random choose-your-own-horror thing in a D&D game a while back–hallway with a bunch of mounted masks, rest your chin in one and roll a d10, receive the corresponding nightmare vision and punishment or reward from a chart.

just awesome, basically. we need more Caleb. oh, and good job not being soppy, Aaron! “Serrated for her pleasure” and the penetration-themed Tourette’s were stellar.

5. vexus
    May 21, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I too am impressed again and again by Caleb’s GM style and creativity. Excellent scenario! 🙂

6. Seejo.Crux
    May 21, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Caleb’s preparation and presentation don’t fail to impress. Gotta love the Lover!

7. Omega
    May 21, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I love this session, and this scenario. And I am totally stealing this idea for my Eclipse Phase campaign.

8. Caleb
    May 22, 2011 at 8:39 am

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

Scribbleykins–I don’t know about the Norwegian thing: I got it off the Delta Green wiki’s list of code words. Everything else is a bastardized version of Air Force radio code.

9. May 24, 2011 at 11:13 am

“My Granny, what big teeth you have.”

I hooted down the street at that. The unboxing was awesome.

10. Jonnygadfly
    May 24, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Another great game. Well done, Caleb. I would give my left nut to play in one of your games.

I suspect the “Norwegian” reference refers to John Carpenter’s The Thing.

11. Kris
    May 25, 2011 at 3:00 am

That was an amazing game! Anywhere we can download some adventure notes or anything?

12. Boyos
    May 25, 2011 at 9:06 am

GREAT!

13. Nate
    May 25, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Wow, that was deliciously messed up!

14. Patrick
    May 26, 2011 at 10:53 am

Yeah, Caleb never, ever disappoints. Such a great scenario. I can tell that Caleb really enjoys writing these scenarios.

What a great game and instant RPPR classic…

15. Nate
    May 26, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Really enjoys writing the SexDeath? Hmm, interesting… 😉

16. GB Steve
    May 27, 2011 at 10:02 am

I enjoyed listening to this today. I particularly enjoyed the investigations in the first session when it was still relatively low key. I was amused by the references to ‘doing this Trail of Cthulhu’, nice to see the influence spreading.

I was a bit nonplussed by the epilogue. I don’t peg DG as wasting assets unless they are blown.

17. Jon Hook
    June 1, 2011 at 9:40 am

Bam! I loved this game. If Pagan were to publish it, I would buy it.

18. Nomad4life
    June 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Awesome! Listening to Caleb’s CoC sessions always makes me wish I could play in one

19. June 13, 2011 at 11:26 am

Another fine, fine adventure by Caleb. Pay attention, Tom and Ross, this guy is stealing your thunder!

20. Wayne
    June 29, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Classic line: “If somebody looks at you lovingly while you’re pointing a gun at them, you shoot them in the head!”

21. Beast
    August 21, 2011 at 11:13 am

This was my first introduction to Delta Green setting. Outstanding game, although I didn’t get what green box actually was. Oh well, time to read freshly acquired Delta Green book. 🙂
    Keep up a great job!

22. Will
    August 25, 2011 at 11:44 pm

A green box is a storage container rented by the higher-ups in Delta green for stuff acquired during missions that can’t be moved safely, or without suspicion. They tend to collect crazy things as each team in the area gets access to it, takes what they need (like, camping supplies, a weapon, notes) and drops off what they don’t want (like, BIG weapons, artifacts, drugs, rotting corpses). A team is supposed to inform the higher ups of any inventory changes, but often that doesn’t happen.

Andrea had alarms and an inventory of the box in this adventure, so she likely had a recent update of how bad it could be.

23. Biest
    September 23, 2011 at 9:11 am

Great Recording and a great adventure as well.
    I’m planning to run it for my group actually.

24. Christopher Loree
    January 13, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Is this adventure something that Caleb wrote himself, or is it available somewhere.

If it’s not a published adventure, it really needs to be. I’d Love to run this one for my group.

25. Caleb
    January 15, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I wrote it myself. Ross, Ean, and I are working on a ransom to release it as a high quality PDF. I’m going to try and have it up sometime in May. Thanks for the interest!

26. Glenn
    April 4, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Please do Caleb, I’d gladly pay a ransom for this scenario. I’m a gm who is just getting started, and listening to rppr is one of the reason’s I got into the hobby.

27. Karl
    May 9, 2012 at 10:36 am

What was the “attachment: Cyrano de Bergerac”?

28. Caleb
    May 9, 2012 at 3:18 pm

The typical Delta Green code for going on a mission is “You’ve been invited to a Night at the Opera.” I figured the email, even though it was encrypted, would be more covert if tickets to an opera were actually attached.

29. Karl
    May 9, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Ah I see. Very cool. Great job on the adventure. I loved listening to it. I’m gonna try to run something similar for my group but with Savage Worlds. Thanks!

30. Caleb
    May 25, 2012 at 3:32 pm

This scenario is being offered as a reward in the kickstarter I just launched! If you liked the Amante, consider donating here.

31. C.R.
    January 31, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Excellent session; one of the best on the site.

Was this played with the classic CoC rules?

32. C.R.
    January 31, 2013 at 3:44 pm

For listeners, the Green Box Generator is here:

33. February 4, 2013 at 11:28 pm

@C.R. this was run with 6th ed Call of Cthulhu rules.

34. C.R.
    February 5, 2013 at 12:41 am

Excellent.

Thanks, Ross.

35. C.R.
    February 5, 2013 at 1:14 am

Caleb,

Will there be a reappearance of Schrödinger’s Parrot?

36. M&M
    February 13, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Fantastic! Ordered my copy of Call of Cthulhu 6ed bc of this podcast! Thanks all!

May 3, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I really liked how this scenario was put together, though I question the ending a bit, considering how hard it seemed to contain the Vector. Well written, well run, and well played.

38. Thorn
    August 2, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I really wish I knew about the kick starter campaign last year, I would have loved to had a PDF of this adventure.

39. Cleb
    August 2, 2013 at 10:24 pm
  40. Thorn
    August 2, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Scratch that, bless google and rpg drivethru.

41. Jebediah
    December 18, 2013 at 10:04 pm

This was honestly the best Delta Green scenario I’ve ever heard in my entire life. Is there any way at all I could get the original DG-optimized scenario from you, Caleb? I bought the generic one from the link above, but I’m just worried I might miss out on some of the nuances you put into it.

42. zero
    September 26, 2014 at 8:38 am

I just finally caught the Agent Fillagrie reference from Bryson Springs. Totes going to get this adventure and run it for my friends.

43. John
    July 24, 2015 at 5:52 pm

I absolutely love Caleb’s scenarios, but man, Tom’s non-stop BS rolls are such a buzzkill for this stuff.

44. LeZunk
    December 8, 2015 at 6:44 am

I just got my hands on this scenario as the DELTA GREEN conversion. But one question: how many inhabitants is Lafontaine supposed to have? Or is this information included in the system-free-version?

May 21, 2016 at 11:26 pm

five years later, this is still amazing. good luck with Red Markets, K’Lob. you’re what the industry needs.