Old School Hack at Gencon 2011 with Kirin Robinson

I was fortunate enough to meet up with Ennie-award winner Kirin Robinson at this year’s Gencon and talk him into running a session of his game, Old School Hack. It’s a free, rules-light game of adventuring and dungeon crawling. Characters can be fighters or dwarves but not dwarven fighters. Caleb and I joined Simeon and Meg from the Arc Dream crew with the Angry DM as we went on a quest of liberation and adventure!

16 comments for “Old School Hack at Gencon 2011 with Kirin Robinson

1. Fred
    August 21, 2011 at 11:33 pm

This is one great adventure! The system used sounds really nice, making combat a lot quicker as compared to d&d4E, and making non-combat rolls also a breeze. Also, the characters you guys played are awesome! Keep up the good work and more power to RPPR!

2. beej
    August 22, 2011 at 12:40 am

Loved the game. Balgran made an appearance and Grignor the Horribly Insane worked his way into our hearts. The system sounds like a blast.

3. August 22, 2011 at 12:52 am

Grignr the Invincibly Insane, thank you very much.

4. Brandon
    August 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm

This was awesome!

5. Sam
    August 22, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Highly enjoyed this session. Seems like a very cool system, and of course the Ross and Caleb antics were amazing.

6. poyodiablo
    August 23, 2011 at 1:21 am

Awesome game! You guys sounded like you had loads of fun! Did I hear Tom in the background playing at another table? What was he playing?

August 23, 2011 at 6:18 am

(thought I wrote this comment last night? Iunno)

love farcical improv games! you guys mentioned this on the main podcast but it didn’t even occur to me that we might get to hear it. great. I feel like (and love the fact that) Ross takes revenge on all PCs who’ve ever screwed with his games by playing the ridiculous headhammerer PC whene’er he gets the chance.

(and the GM sounds just enough like Ross’ building-a-scene voice to make me go ‘wait is Ross leading a revolution here’ once or twice ahah)

8. August 23, 2011 at 1:55 pm

@poyodiablo Tom was playing Arkham Horror in the same room.

9. Scurvy
    August 24, 2011 at 1:59 am

I agree that Kirin and Ross sound almost identical during descriptive sections. I honestly thought Ross had taken over as GM a few times.

Sounds like a fun system for quick, painless games. Rules-wise, at least. The guy who got sandwiched between a spike-studded dragon femur and a statue of liberation might take issue with my description.

10. Vexus
    August 26, 2011 at 7:35 am

I, for one, will be first in-line to see the musical debut of the Tuskan Sound Raiders. πŸ™‚

11. Caleb
    August 28, 2011 at 12:01 pm

By the way, would anyone like to hear the good news about Shaza-zaza-ratha-baron-thaum?

12. Dom
    August 30, 2011 at 5:14 pm

This was a hilarious game, I laughed out loud several times. It would definitely had been a great start to a campaign.

The system is very interesting, I’ll give it a read, and maybe even try a one-shot with it.

BTW Caleb, what are the good news regarding Shaza-zaza-ratha-baron-thaum??

13. Caleb
    August 30, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Dom–Put on the wig and go-go outfit; then you will see.

14. KenR
    April 24, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I would have given Ross an awesome point for “You’re busted!” when hitting an enemy with a statue.

Great game, overall. The free-flowing nature reminds me a lot of Dungeon World, and I liked the awesome points so much I put them in my DW-based game. I just simplified them down to giving a re-roll, though the other effects could be adapted pretty easily, I think.

I especially want to give props to Kirin for the last encounter – I don’t know if that’s what he uses for every run-through, but it managed to have tyrannical guards for Ross to smash, desperate prisoners to Caleb to preach at, a bunch of doors for the door-whisperer, and the fat goblin’s brother. I didn’t pick out anything quite as perfect for the dwarf but it was a great way to let the characters shine at their chosen specialties before the game wrapped up.

Also based on the descriptive text I spent all game waiting for this “Grignir” to show up. Was not disappointed when he finally did.